Keep in touch with friends and family abroad
As an MTN PayAsYouGo or MTN Contract subscriber, your SIM card is set up for international
calls by default. If you have any problems making international calls, please contact
your MTN Service Provider.
Please note: we offer discounted international calling rates, which you can check
in the link below.
Discounted rates per country
- Dial *141*2*427# to activate an international calling subscription for discounted
- We also offer R30 International
Calling bundles with discounted rates
Please see our international calling rates by selecting the relevant country below.
Rates per country
How to get it
To call abroad
- Dial (+) or (00) followed by the country code, the city code (minus the first zero)
and the number
- So, if you were calling someone in London, you’d dial + (prefix) 44 (UK code)
78 (region code, minus the first 0) 123 4567 (person’s number), e.g., +44
78 123 4567
- To call a South African subscriber roaming abroad, just dial their cellphone number
(e.g., 083 123 1234)
How do I check International Calling rates?
Dial *111*2# or check the rates by selecting the relevant country below.
Rates Per Country
Are there specific times when certain rates apply?
No, our rates apply 24/7.
What does it cost if I call an MTN subscriber roaming abroad?
You’ll be charged local call rates as per your price plan, but they may be
charged an additional rate.
Are MTN’s International Calling rates the same across price plans?
Do discounted calls on plans apply to International Calling?
The International calls made will be charged at per second or per minute billing, how does that work?
Per second billing applies to all new price plans, but if you’re on a per minute price plan you will be charged per minute.
Per second billing means that you only pay for the second you use and no more. E.g. if you talk for 20 seconds you will be charged for 20 seconds not the full minute.
Per minute billing means that you will pay for the full minute from the start of the call. E.g. if you talk for 20 seconds you will be charged for the full 60 seconds i.e. 1 minute. This billing method is applicable to the following destinations, regardless of the price plan billing method(Refer to table in International calling standard terms and condition clause 5.3)
How do I send an SMS to someone abroad?
- Type your message
- Enter (+) or (00) followed by the country code, the city code (minus the first zero)
and the number
- So, if you were calling someone in London, you’d dial + (prefix) 44 (UK code) 78
(region code, minus the first 0) 123 4567 (person’s number), e.g., +44 78 123 4567