Say hello to Mobile Money
Mobile Money is big on convenience and small on cost, giving you a cost-effective and convenient solution to manage your money better.Now you can withdraw cash from your account at Shoprite store tills. Read our overview to find out more.
Mobile Money is big on convenience, small on cost
A Mobile Money account is one of the most cost-effective accounts you can have. You pay no monthly account or card fees and you get free unlimited payments when you have a Mobile Money VISA Card linked to your account, take look at our updated pricing to see just how reasonable our costs are.
All pricing effective 10 June 2015
Mobile Money, the safe and convenient solution that makes perfect cents
Mobile Money is a secure and affordable way for you to do your banking, and it’s available to customers on all cellphone networks. Best of all, you pay no monthly or annual fees to maintain your account and there’s no minimum account balance required.
Mobile Money allows you to do the following:
- Send money instantly to any active South African cellphone number.
- Deposit and withdraw cash at a participating Pick n Pay, Boxer, retail store or a local Mobile Money agent.
- Pay for goods and services at a participating Pick n Pay, Boxer or a retail store till point.
- Buy prepaid airtime.
- Buy prepaid electricity.
- Buy prepaid data and SMS bundles.
- Receive payments into your Mobile Money account through an electronic funds transfer (EFT).
- Make payments from your Mobile Money account through EFT (internet banking).
- Pay for goods and services at most retail stores with a Mobile Money VISA Card.
- Withdraw cash at any ATM using your Mobile Money VISA Card.
- Withdraw cash at Shoprite store tills
- Do More
- Make Money
- VISA Card
You can do more with your Mobile Money account
With Mobile Money, you can also do the following:
- Increase your Mobile Money account limit at a participating Pick n Pay, Boxer, retail store or a local Mobile Money agent.
- Buy prepaid airtime for any cellphone network and get a 5%* cash reward if you're on the MTN network.
- Have your salary paid into your Mobile Money account.
- Get free unlimited card swipes and pay no monthly or annual card service fees when you use your linked Mobile Money VISA Card for everyday purchases at any point-of-sale machine.
- If you're an MTN customer, get family and friends to send you money by sending a ‘Please send me money' SMS for free. Dial *141*3# and follow the prompts.
- Conveniently make payments to any bank account in South Africa using the Mobile Money mobile banking site at www.momoney.co.za.
Get started now! Dial *120*668# to open your Mobile Money bank account.
Mobile Money is brought to you by MTN and operated by TYME, an authorised distribution channel of The South African Bank of Athens Limited (SABA), an authorised financial services and registered credit provider (FSP5865, NCRCP6).
Who can open a Mobile Money account?
- is 16 years of age or older,
- has a valid South African identity number and
- has an active cellphone number.
Each Mobile Money customer may only open one account, which is subject to successful fraud and risk control checks.
Mobile Money's Terms and Conditions must be accepted before a Mobile Money account can be opened. For additional information or if you do not understand the Terms and Conditions or how they apply to you, please contact the Mobile Money Customer Care Centre on 083 123 0145 (the call is free for MTN customers).
Earn double Pick n Pay smart shopper points when using Mobile Money
Not only is our product offering convenient and affordable but with a Mobile Money account, you can also earn double smart shopper points when buying groceries at any Pick n Pay store.
Simply swipe your Pick n Pay smart shopper card and pay for your shopping with Mobile Money using 'Pay at Till' or 'Pay at Till with CashBack' at Pick n Pay till points.
Link a VISA card to your Mobile Money account
With a Mobile Money VISA Card, you can pay for goods and services at most retail stores or withdraw cash at any ATM. All you need to do is purchase your Mobile Money VISA Card* from a participating Pick n Pay, Boxer, retail store or a local Mobile Money agent and activate your card on your Mobile Money account within seven days.
In the unfortunate event of your card getting lost or stolen, you can easily cancel your card by doing one of the following:
- Dial *120*668# to access your Mobile Money account and select the ‘Cancel Card’ option.
- Contact the Mobile Money Customer Care Centre on 083 123 0145 to cancel your card.
If you forget your PIN, simply contact the Mobile Money Customer Care Centre on 083 123 0145 for assistance (the call is free for MTN customers).
For more information, see the details on the Mobile Money VISA Card pack.
Mobile Money offers benefits that are convenient for you
With a Mobile Money account, you have access to a range of benefits that help you manage your money using your cellphone. Not only can you send and receive money with your cellphone, you can also buy prepaid airtime and electricity anytime, no matter where you are.
The Mobile Money benefits
- No monthly account fees
- No monthly card fees
- No minimum balance
- Free unlimited swipes
Brought to you by MTN and operated by TYME, a distribution channel of South African Bank of Athens Limited, an authorised financial services and registered credit provider (FSP5865, NCRCP6).
- Dial *120*668# to open an account
- Link your Mobile Money Visa Card
- Deposit and withdraw money at
a participating Pick n Pay, Boxer, Shoprite or retail store tills
- Get your salary paid into your Mobile Money account
- Send and receive money using your cellphone
- Check your account balance on your cellphone
- Buy airtime, data and SMS bundles using your cellphone
- Buy prepaid electricity
- Deposit and withdraw money
- Automatic zone discounts
- 500 free loyalty points
- 5 free SMSs for every R15 airtime spent
- R2 free airtime for every R30 airtime spent
- 1 free CallerTunez
- 7 free CallBacks daily
- 5 free ‘Send Me Money’ SMSs daily
Everything you need to know about your Mobile Money bank account
With a Mobile Money bank account, it’s easy to access your money, deposit cash, make payments, make cash withdrawals, send money and buy prepaid airtime as well as electricity; you just need to know how. Get all the step-by-step details by simply clicking on the topic you want to know more about.
Managing your Mobile Money bank account
Open a Mobile Money bank account
Access your Mobile Money bank account
Upgrade your Mobile Money bank account to increase your account limits
Send money from your Mobile Money bank account
Make payments into your Mobile Money bank account
Using Mobile Money in store
Deposit cash at a till point
Withdraw cash at a till point
Pay for your goods at a till point
Using Mobile Money to buy
Using your Mobile Money Bank Card
You may also be interested in...
Cellphone Banking is a service that may be provided by your bank to purchase airtime on your handset.
Use an ATM ( FNB, ABSA, Standard Bank and Nedbank) to top up your airtime.