With international roaming you can keep your cellphone number and MTN connection when you travel overseas. It’s easier and cheaper than you think.
We’ve partnered with 600 networks in 170 countries, keeping you connected everywhere you go.
- What to remember before you go roaming
- Make sure that you have contacted your service provider and activated roaming well in advance, at least 2 weeks prior to departure. Alternatively, you can also activate MTN SMS Roaming by dialling *111*14#.
- A deposit may or may not be required depending on your price plan and payment history. Note—PAYG and TopUp customers do not need to activate roaming as it is active by default.
- Make sure that your phone is compatible with the network in the country you’re visiting and that you have the right adaptor necessary to charge your phone. We recommend that you take along your phone user manual as well as your PIN and PUK numbers.
- If you want to use the internet while roaming make sure that the country you are visiting has an MTN Roaming partner with data services. Latest information is available on www.mtn.co.za/travel/ Roaming Partners. Note that PAYG and TopUp customers cannot use the internet (data) while roaming.
- Make 100% sure what the rates in your destination country would be for making calls, sending SMS and using data (internet). Details are available on www.mtn.co.za/travel/Roaming Rates.
- If you are going to use the internet please note that MTN charges for data roaming in increments of 25KB. Please see www.mtn.co.za/travel/Roaming Rates for the latest data rates.
If you’re headed overseas, you’ll need your ultimate travel companions to make sure you have a great time. That’s right, we’re talking about your devices. Whether it’s a phone, tablet or laptop, if you’re connected to the internet life is a whole lot simpler when travelling in another country.
Use Google Translate to order food to your hotel, share your amazing stories and photos on your social media, stay in touch with your loved ones back home via email or video chat with them on Skype, always know where you’re going with GPS navigation, search the net for the best restaurants, manage your budget with online banking, the benefits are endless.
And now with MTN’s new PayAsYouGo Data Roaming service, you can enjoy all the convenience and control of prepaid while you’re jet setting - simply top up your data and you’re good to go. You can even check your data balance in real time, so you don’t experience that sinking feeling of being suddenly disconnected at a crucial moment. If you’re a top-up contract customer you’re also in for a treat as you too can check your balance in real time, as well as enjoy reduced costs.
In a few simple steps, you can be on your way to enjoy the benefits of MTNPayAsYouGo Data Roaming service:
Before you leave South Africa do the following:
Opt in for MTN PayAsYouGo Data Roaming service by dialling *111#
Ensure that you have airtime/data on your device
On arrival at your international destination, follow these steps:
On arrival at your international destination, you will receive an SMS
Check your airtime balance by dialling *141#
You can check your roaming rates by dialling *111*1# or call MTN Customer care at 173
Added benefit - if you find yourself in the South-East Africa region. Now you can top-up your airtime using the local voucher in following countries. Simply dial *222*voucherpin# or online via your bank account. So don’t let the nasty surprise of a huge data bill ruin the awesome memories you take back with you from your travels. Make sure you load prepaid data and stay connected and in control while you’re in transit.
Terms and Conditions apply